Thursday, February 21, 2008

Happy Detour


As soon as we landed in San Diego on vacation we were off to replace the four 10 oz bottles of lotion that were confiscated by airport security. "You don't fly much I guess" the guard said dryly as they pulled out bottle after bottle from my husband's carry on. The guard didn't seem amused. It was all I could do to keep a straight face until we were clear to the gate. I had distinctly told him to put his HBA products in his suitcase. He said he didn't know HBA included suntan lotion. I couldn't stop laughing. My husband wasn't amused either. So as soon as we landed we found a Target. He hadn't packed a sweatshirt either. Now it was I who was not amused. We were missing valuable sun time. As my husband browsed for what seemed like forever I huffed along the aisles nervously looking at my watch. By the time we got to the register I was so done. "Come on I said let's get out of here and go to the beach." The clerk was a tiny older Mexican woman. She looked up when she heard my pleading tone and reached over and ever so lightly touched the pendant I was wearing. "This is most beautiful" she said in broken English. "Very different" My husband smiled because he knew the magic in those words would melt away any annoyance I was feeling at that moment. And he was right. I thanked my admirer, tried to explain that I made it which came out a little awkward complete with hand signals so I just handed her my business card. I was grinning from ear to ear when we left the store. "Saved by the cashier" my husband said smugly as we walked across the parking lot looking for our rental car. "Did you give her your website?" he asked. "Yes, smartypants now take me to the beach."
I made a point of writing down the colors I used in that vacation pendant. This is the first time I tried recreating it and it came out gorgeous!

No comments: