Friday, February 15, 2008

The Teacher's Pet


My 10 year old son asked me to make something for his 4th grade teacher for Valentine's Day Wednesday night. I made her and my daughter's first grade teacher matching hearts. My daughter loved her teacher's gift but my son looked forlorn as I handed him the box. "What's the matter? You don't like the heart?" I asked him. "Mom it's not that I don't like it but it's a heart! Mom I can't give her a heart she's going to think I like her." He said in a pleading tone. I replied "But you do like her, she's your teacher right?" "Yeah Mom but she's going to think I like her, like her, you know love and stuff. Can't we give her one of those implosion pendants that's all dark she likes black, she wears it every day?" he asked excitedly as he launched into my box of stock. He pulled out a navy blue implosion pendant. "Here, this is good. no heart just steampunk". He seemed proud and relieved with his find. I chuckled "Steampunk? that's my keys not my implosion pendants." "Oh yeah, well whatever as long as it's not a heart" he said as he put the now carefully wrapped box in his backpack. I asked "What about a card? I made you and your sister a card". You're kidding right? He asked looking horrified. "No card, no way!" "Ok" I said "But without a card you are going to have to say Happy Valentine's Day when you give her the present." He paused for several seconds weighing his options. "Ok give me the card"...This is the heart he passed up.

1 comment:

Taika von Peppendorff said...

Funny :)

I just love your beads, I think your work's amazing. Anu from Finland